Scrape other data
Aside from collecting data within industries such as real estate and finance, other common uses of screen-scraping include:
- Collecting government records
- Competitive pricing
- Business intelligence
- Data migration from legacy systems
- Monitoring social media sites
- Analyzing travel pricing trends
- Automating insurance quotes
- Creating mobile versions of web sites
Yet another common use is collecting all store locations for a given business. As an example of this, you can download a scrape that will extract post office location data from the US Postal Service web site. To use it just follow the steps below.
To use the USPS scrape:
- If you haven't already, download and install screen-scraper.
- Download the scraping session using the button on the right.
- Import the scraping session into screen-scraper.
- Modify the search keywords for the scraping session by editing the "USPS--set parameters" script.
- Run the scraping session. In screen-scraper's "output" folder (within the directory where screen-scraper is installed) you'll find a "usps.csv" file containing the downloaded data.