Scrape e-commerce data
Sites like Amazon and Wal-Mart contain troves of useful product information. screen-scraper allows you to extract such data in bulk, then analyze it using an application like Microsoft Excel. Information such as a product title, price, SKU, and even product images can be downloaded for use in other applications.
If you'd like to experience this for yourself you can download a scrape that will gather product information from the Amazon web site. Click the "Video" button for a walk-through on how to do this, or just follow the steps below.
To use the Amazon scrape:
- If you haven't already, download and install screen-scraper.
- Download the scraping session using the button on the right.
- Import the scraping session into screen-scraper.
- Modify the search keywords for the scraping session by editing the "Amazon--set parameters" script.
- Run the scraping session. In screen-scraper's "output" folder (within the directory where screen-scraper is installed) you'll find an "amazon.csv" file containing the downloaded data.